Search This Blog

7.29.2010

Forget Regret

I messed up. I can't go back in time, I can't change the past, so all I can do is learn from it, right? We've all heard the phrase learn from your mistakes.It's completely cliché and absolutely right.

However, what we fail to realize most of the time is that the mistakes we make do not only effect us. Our actions effect everyone around us. Every one makes mistakes. No one is perfect. We're only human. Things are bound to go wrong and every once in a while, we make stupid decisions, some more often than others. I tend to mess up a lot. I learn from it, but if those stupid decisions effect the people I care about, it kills me. I hate knowing that I caused someone pain or worry. I guess that guilt is necessary in order to ensure that I do not make the same mistakes again.

But it would be wrong to wish that some things had never happened, because that's how we learn.

Perhaps certain situations are necessary to each of us. Another cliché saying, "everything happens for a reason." Maybe we find ourselves in certain situations because the lessons we learn from them are valuable to us at the time. They are lessons that need to be learned, things we should know. And maybe these lessons save us from an even greater mistake.

Experiences, good or bad, make us who we are and influence the people we become. It's how we grow.

"A man's errors are his portals of discovery" -James Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment