Search This Blog

6.18.2010

I am a writer. Are you?

I just started summer classes. They are horrifically long and terrifyingly boring. In about six hours of class time, there was one thing I found interesting.
This video: http://ncow.org/browse/video/who/who_is_writer.html

The video shows people from different backgrounds, different ages, and different careers answering questions about writing. What is writing? It's funny how such a clear and straight-forward question can have so many interpretations. Writing can consist of anything from novels to simple to-do lists or emails. What's even more amazing is how writing can affect us.

To me, writing is everything from expression to therapy. I seem to express myself the most clearly through writing. Somehow, my thoughts just seem to flow onto paper. I love journalism. I love writing essays for class. Weird, I know, but I would rather write an essay than take a test. I love writing on Facebook walls, well I at least try to respond. I love writing random notes to friends. I love making personalized cards and writing cute messages on them. It's more personal that way. But most of all, I love writing for myself. It helps me get my thoughts together, which is pretty important considering i'm confused about something or another most of the time. It keeps me sane. I guess some things are easier to put on paper than to say out loud. I love to write. I guess that's why I'm here.

I'll update as often as I can with random thoughts and happenings. I haven't really blogged before, so this should be interesting.

"Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals." -Don Delillo

No comments:

Post a Comment